For over 20 years, Promises has offered our clients a bridge to recovery. Based on our tradition of giving back to the community, we created this free recovery tool to help you create a virtual community of peer support.
iPromises is an iPhone recovery app with trigger alerts, a visual journal, and a directory of phone numbers to find an AA meeting anywhere in the US, Canada, and some international offices. Add friends and share meetings, track your progress and challenges, and get a daily positive message
one day at time.
One of the most important elements of recovery is building a community of support with like-minded peers who understand the joys, and the challenges, of recovery. No one understands a person in recovery better than another person in recovery. iPromises is a free iPhone app that allows you to create a virtual community of support. Add friends and meetings, and track your accomplishments, challenges, moods, triggers, and service.
iPromises allows anyone in recovery to stay connected at all times. The trigger alerts help you recognize when you really need to reach out and connect with someone in recovery.
The people who worked on this app know and understand the challenges of recovery. They too have wondered if they should call their sponsor. They too have been in a strange city and wondered how to find a meeting. This, and the fact that iPromises was created by one of the premiere addiction treatment centers in the world, makes it a vital and thoughtful tool to help you stay on the path toward an extraordinary life.
iPromises encourages you to identify and track those triggers that could put you at risk of relapse. When you do the initial set-up, take some time to consider what sorts of moods or behaviors put you at risk. Has a therapist warned you that you tend to act impulsively when you are hungry? Has your sponsor noticed that you are much more shaky when you visit a certain person or skip a meeting? These are your triggers. Once you have programmed the app to know your triggers, any time you pick a mood or behavior in your visual journal, you will be automatically prompted to call your sponsor.
Using the built-in geopositioning feature in the iPhone, if you are sitting in a meeting you like, you can add it to your meetings and ask it to Use Current Location for future reference. (Note that geopositioning requires that you have a good 3G or network connection and there are no obstacles blocking the iPhones ability to locate you)
Anytime you meet someone in the rooms whose thoughts and ideas resonate with you, ask them if they want to share contact information. Once they are added to your iPromises friends you will be able to contact them for support in the future. We kept this feature limited to friends you personally choose to protect your identity and to make sure only people you trust become part of your network.
Anytime you notice a strong feeling, mood, or behavior, you can add it to your visual journal. A graph is generated that lets you see your attitude over time. This can be a great way to see if you have been consistently resentful over the past few weeks, or felt any other feeling that could be undermining your recovery. Good feelings are also an important part of the visual journal. Let’s say you have a bad day and declare, “Nothing good ever happens to me.” Your visual journal might tell a different story, showing that you have checked off “Happy” more often than not over the past few months.
Once you have installed the application on your iPhone this QuickStart guide will help you with the basic set up:
1. Open the application; you will be asked to register – pick a username and password. In the future you can ask the app to remember you so that you will automatically end up on the home page when you open the app.
2. When you open the app it will ask if you would allow it to use your current location. If you want to be able to find shared meetings near you or use other geopositioning elements of the app (such as adding a meeting when sitting in the meeting room and having it find the address through GPS) you must allow this.
3. Click FRIENDS and add your sponsor name and contact info.
4. Click HOME in the lower menu bar.
5. Click MEETINGS and add your home group meeting information.
6. Go to SETTINGS in the lower menu bar.
7. My Recovery Began > choose the year, then the month and day of your recovery.
8. Home Group > Choose the meeting you input earlier under “Meetings” to add your home group.
9. My Sponsor > Choose the Friend you added to your friends list who is your sponsor. You will now be able to dial your sponsor by hitting the Sponsor/phone icon in the lower menu bar.
10. My Triggers > Choose those triggers you know put you at risk. You will now be alerted to call your sponsor if you ever pick one of these triggers when updating your visual journal.
11. Share Meetings Settings > Click this and then choose if you want to share meetings with other people in your area, no one, or just with people who know your username/email address.
You have completed the basic set up of the app.
You can now use the visual journal to update how you are feeling today, any challenges you have experienced, or any successes you have had. You can track your progress using the Progress icon – the bars will indicate how many times you selected a mood, challenge, or success over days, weeks, or months.